Saturday, December 29, 2012

Day 3 - A Whole Lotta Whole Grains

Yes, whole grains can taste really good.  I know it’s hard to believe.  I’ll admit, they don’t taste like a baked potato drenched in sour cream and butter or a slice of chocolate cake with buttercream icing.  But, as I’ve been told, whole grains are integral to a balanced vegan diet – in fact, they should be a part of every diet according to the people who know these things.

As I stood in Pick n Save, staring at the display of Bob’s Red Mill products, I saw a few familiar items.  Wheat berries.  Wild rice.  Quinoa.  There were bulk grains available in the produce aisle, but I decided that Bob was a guy committed to good health so I was going to support his business efforts.  And his packages included detailed cooking instructions and a recipe.  Bob also shares my political views, so that was an even better reason.  I feel like we’re friends already.  



I figured out the calories in this Wheatberry Salad, and then decided that I’m going to forget about calories.  If I’m not eating fat in my diet, if I’ve given up meat and dairy (except for non-fat dairy), then I’m also giving up my obsession with counting calories.  Oh, and I realize that by eating dairy, I’m not technically a vegan, but it comes closest to describing my “plan”, so I’ll use the term loosely.  I’m “veganish”.  How’s that?

So, I’m sharing my first recipe.  This is based on a few different recipes with some stuff thrown in that I really like to eat – like red bell peppers and frozen peas.  Toss in whatever fresh veggies you have in the fridge.  If you don’t have Craisins, chop up an apple or add a can of mandarin oranges.  Pecans are really good in this as well as sunflower or pumpkin seeds, but since I’m watching my fat intake, I didn’t add those.  And use your favorite non-fat dressing.  Something fruity..  It's pretty to look at, very colorful, and it tastes so good!   

Wheatberry Salad 

1 15 oz can garbanzos
1 cup uncooked wheat berries cooked with 3 ½ c. water  (3 cups cooked)
½ cup uncooked wild rice, cooked with 1 ½ c. water (1 3/4 cup cooked)
1 lg. red bell pepper chopped
1 cup carrots, diced
1 bunch scallions chopped
½ cup frozen peas
½ cup frozen corn
½ cup craisins

Cook wheatberries and wild rice on top of stove or in rice cooker.  Mix all ingredients and store in airtight container in refrigerator.  Dress each serving individually with Ken’s Fat Free Raspberry Pecan dressing  or your favorite fat-free dressing.  This salad will last 3-4 days in the fridge.  Makes approximately 9 one cup servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment