Friday, December 28, 2012

Day 2 - In Which I Get Sucked In By An Infomercial – Again


I’d seen it a number of times and been intrigued.  I’m not usually a sucker for an infomercial pitch.  Except in the case of food, I do have a great deal of self-control.  Yes, I do have a Fluidity Bar that’s never been used.  And I actually completed Debbie Sieber’s Slim In Six ten years ago after purchasing her video tapes.  Oh, and there was the Zhumba purchase five months ago, made at 3 a.m.  Gee, I said to my sleep-deprived self, that looks like fun!  But this pitch came with a personal recommendation from my sister-in-law who is known to be a very, very sensible person.  She actually balances her checkbook every month. 

She’d recently purchased a Nutri-Bullet and was pleased with the way it whipped up her morning smoothie.  Since my new plan required me to eat a decent no-fat breakfast, this seemed to be a good way to go.  And I had a coupon!



For $80.00 (20% off at Bed, Bath and Beyond), I came home with the answer to all my breakfast concerns.  Here was a way to force leafy greens into my diet – before 10 am!  All the smoothie recipes began with 2 cups of leafy greens.  There was no way to avoid them.  And then fresh or frozen fruit.  I love fruit. Then some flax seed or almonds.  I also added some non-fat pro-biotic yogurt (Kaffir) and some pasteurized egg whites (All Whites) for a little extra protein.  My leafy green of choice was spinach.  Everything goes in the cup and the blades spin at supersonic speed, giving you a perfectly smooth smoothie.

Though my first smoothie tasted really good, it was green and I have a serious problem drinking anything that looks remotely like pond scum.  Note to self:  Switch to leafy greens that are less . . . green.  Try hearts of romaine next.  So, the plan is to start each day with a healthy, non-fat, full-of-fiber-and-nutrients smoothie.  Where I go from there is still a work in progress.     

No comments:

Post a Comment