Thursday, January 10, 2013

Day 15 - Two Weeks And No Regrets

It's hard to believe I wrote my first blog post two weeks ago.  I've had time to reflect on this major change in my life and I'm still sorting through my feelings about why this seems to be different from the other attempts to get healthy.

I haven't made myself a lot of promises.  I'm just taking one day at a time.  I cook healthy, plant-based dishes and I eat them.  I write about my experiences in this blog.  I don't deny myself food when I'm hungry, but I do know, without a doubt, that what I'm putting into my body is absolutely as healthy as I can make it.  So there is no guilt, no feeling of deprivation, no pessimistic feelings about the future.  I'm never hungry and that feels good.



I'm surprised I don't have any cravings.  In the past, that had always been the end of me when it came to dieting.  I used to spend so much time thinking about food, trying to decide what to feed myself, then feeling guilty after eating something ridiculously unhealthy.  Add to that, the after-effects of an unhealthy meal and my life was pretty much consumed by thoughts of food -- and none of them positive.  These days, I really don't have to think about eating, beyond searching for interesting new recipes.  There's healthy food in the fridge, left-overs of healthy meals, basics to make a new, tasty dish.  When I'm hungry, the food will be there and I'll eat.

I don't restrict myself to three meals a day.  Instead, I eat about 5 or 6 small meals a day.  I try to eat breakfast shortly after I get up and usually make a smoothie or have a bowl of oatmeal and fruit.  But this doesn't always work for me and sometimes I have lentil chili for breakfast.  Again, as long as it's healthy, plant-based food, I never feel guilty putting it in my mouth.

I've lost ten pounds in 14 days.  Without feeling one hunger pang the entire time.  My plan seems to be working.  But now that I've written this, I do have one regret.  I regret that I didn't do this years ago.

Note:  The Vegan food pyramid comes from a poster available from http://www.veganfoodpyramid.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment