Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Day 28 - Forks Over Knives

My primary goal in following a vegan diet came from concerns over my health.  I was in serious trouble with my weight and there was just no other way to get myself healthy.  After reading Caldwell Esselstyn's book, "Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease," I was convinced that I could do no better than following a no-fat vegan diet.  I decided to give myself a year.  It was long enough to make a major change in my health, yet short enough to see an end goal.

After a month on my new "plan," I've adjusted quite well.  Since I work out of my home, I'm not faced with eating lunch or dinner out.  I rarely travel, so I don't have search for vegan food on the road.  All and all, my decision is easier for me than it might be for other people.  I've learned to enjoy cooking and grocery shopping.   But more than that, I've learned to enjoy living without guilt.  Mentally and emotionally, a weight has been lifted.  I can enjoy eating now.  I don't limit my servings, I eat when I'm hungry, and I never feel as if I'm depriving myself.



Part of the inspiration for changing my eating was the documentary "Forks Over Knives."  Click on the link and watch it for free.  It does have some annoying subtitles on this version, but it really is worth watching.  You can also watch it for free if you have Amazon Prime or if you subscribe to NetFlix.  This documentary really opened my eyes about nutrition and the many things that I didn't know about how food affected the body.

Making such a huge shift in my diet has revealed some interesting habits.  I've found a number of dishes that I really enjoy and will eat on  regular basis.  The Cauliflower Dal I cooked recently was memorable.  My own Vegan Chili is always comforting.  Sloppy Joes on whole grain bread is another favorite.  And finally, both the Roasted Root Veggies and Balsamic Roasted Mushrooms, both over quinoa, will make more appearances on my menu.  The more dishes I add to my favorites list, the more confident I feel about my future as a vegan.  Variety is definitely important to me, but so is familiarity.

I have some specific challenges I need to address in my second month.  I still eat too much refined sugar -- mostly in salad dressings and some that I add to tomato-based dishes (I like my tomatoes sweet).  I don't get enough leafy greens in my diet.  Usually a serving or two a day.  I haven't been getting exercise -- we're in the middle of a cold and icy winter and walking outside is treacherous at best.  And I need to work harder on balancing the elements of a vegan diet on a daily basis -- more grains than legumes.  More veggies than fruit.  But I'm happy and optimistic and ready for the next four weeks.      

No comments:

Post a Comment