Thursday, January 31, 2013

Day 36 -- Keeping Produce Fresh

Since the major portion of my vegan diet involves fresh fruit and veggies, I was surprised to discover that I didn't know all that much about how to prolong the freshness of the produce I bought.  I came across this article that provided a lot of really good information about storing fresh produce.

For instance, I didn't know that storing potatoes and onions together would cause the onions to spoil.  And that onions could be stored in pantyhose to keep them fresh for months.

 

Did you know that if you store apples with potatoes, the potatoes won't sprout?  Or if you wrap the crown of a bunch of bananas with plastic, the bananas will keep 3-5 days longer than usual?   Speaking of bananas, they should be kept isolated on the counter as they cause other fruit to ripen too quickly.  And if you wrap celery, broccoli and lettuce in tin foil before refrigerating, it will keep up to 4 weeks.  This is great to know since celery always seems to be a problem for me.  It's wilted and rubbery within a few days of buying it.

One thing I was doing right was storing my produce in glass rather than plastic.  Blueberries stored in a covered glass dish last much longer than those stored in plastic.  And finally, I learned that I can freeze ginger root rather than letting it shrivel up in the fridge.

Check out these 27 Ways To Make Your Groceries Last As Long As Possible.



No comments:

Post a Comment