Thursday, January 24, 2013

Day 29 - It Tastes As Good As It Looks

I find it strange how much my sense of sight is involved in choosing foods I might like to eat.  I've already discovered that muddy green smoothies made with fruit and greens are almost impossible for me to drink, even though they may taste like cherries and pears.  My enthusiasm to make Cauliflower Dal with Panch Phoran was driven entirely by the photo that accompanied the recipe.

Recently, I came across this photo and I immediately went out and bought a head of cauliflower.  To some, it might look like overcooked cauliflower, but to me, I could imagine a sweet taste and almost creamy textrue.  I just knew it would be amazing.



I sliced the cauliflower starting from the stem end and moving toward the crown, then put the "slabs" on a parchment-lined cookie sheet that had been sprayed lightly with PAM.  I also lightly sprayed the tops, sprinkled with salt and pepper, and then put them in a 400-degree oven for about 45 minutes.  The more oil you use, the browner they'll get, but anymore than 45 minutes and they'll end up a little mushy.

I put a few "slabs" in a pita with some hummus and some other fresh veggies and it was so good  Food For Life, the makers of Ezekial bread, makes a nearly fat-free whole grain pita that, with the hummus, makes this a balanced lunch of grain, legume and veggie.  It's wonderful how roasted cauliflower can be just as satisfying to eat as sliced roast beef or ham.


I'm going to attempt making my own pita bread in the future.  The FatFree Vegan website has a recipe


No comments:

Post a Comment