Friday, January 11, 2013

Day 16 - My First Rule of Vegan Cooking - Flavor, Flavor, Flavor


In these early days of my new life as a vegan, I've come to appreciate the convenience of a one pot meal.  If there's a way to combine grains, legumes, vegetables and leafy greens into one tasty dish, I'll try it.  This kind of meal fits perfectly into my life.  I cook for myself and I never sit down at a table and eat a meal.  I eat at my desk, or sitting on my bed watching television, or standing at the kitchen counter while loading the dishwasher.  Yes, it's not very elegant, but that's mealtime.

If it's a one pot meal, then it will probably be a one mug meal, too.  Almost all my meals are eaten out of my favorite giant Fiestaware mugs.  This fortuitous purchase was made years ago, before a Christmas celebration where I was serving two hearty soups and guests were sitting all over my house.  Only later did I discover that these mugs were great for cereal or fruit or steamed veggies or chai soy lattes -- pretty much everything I ate.  Because of the handle, they work well in the microwave and are convenient for carrying to whatever spot I choose for dining.  Best of all, they come in lots of pretty colors to match any kitchen decor!

NOTE:  Fiestaware refers to these as "jumbo cups."  They hold 18 ounces and are available in eight different colors for $6.99 at Everything Kitchens.



Lunch today was a wonderful recipe, Ethiopian-Insprired Red Lentil Soupfrom the FatFree Vegan Kitchen.  It uses a berberé ground spice mixture that includes cardamom, coriander, fenugreek, nutmeg, cloves, allspice, cinnamon, paprika, tumeric, cayenne red pepper, black pepper and sea salt.  It was fun to put together and it smells (and tastes) so exotic.  Further research tells me that a berberé mix has as many different recipes as curry powder.  The soup, made with red lentils, potatoes, crushed tomatoes, green beans and spinach, is rich and deeply flavored  and hit the spot on a chilly January day.

No comments:

Post a Comment