Friday, January 4, 2013

Day 8 - Week One Over, On To Week Two



I’ve completed my first week as a veganish vegan.  In all honesty, I’m not suffering.  I’m not denying myself food.  When I’m hungry, I eat.  I don’t have to count calories or measure portions, so it really doesn’t seem like I’m on a diet – which I’m not.  

I’ve decided to give myself a year.  Every day, I’ll put my thoughts into a blog post and share some of the things that are helping me maintain my focus.  I’m not sure if anyone will ever read this blog or if I’ll be talking to myself for a year, but just the discipline of writing about my experiences might make it easier to keep moving forward, a day at a time. 

One of the keys to staying on track for me has to be simplicity.  I’ve counted calories and points and kept a food journal.  I’ve weighed and measured food.  I’ve attended meetings and bought expensive pre-packaged food.  But this time, I’ve stumbled upon a plan that requires only two things – preparing wholesome, nutritious food and eating said food.  Obviously, eating is not a problem for me, so making my meals is the only complication I’ve added to my life.  And since I know exactly what I can and can’t eat, even that isn’t very complicated.

\
I worried about variety, but I’ve been searching for recipes on the Internet and modifying dishes that sound good.  Tonight, for dinner, I made hummus with roasted red peppers and plenty of garlic.  I spread it on whole grain bread made by Food For Life.  Their products can be found in larger grocery stores in the freezer section and in many health food and vegetarian stores.  I’m learning to appreciate different tastes and making some surprising discoveries. 

Eating can be an adventure and I’m looking forward to tomorrow.  I’m going to roast some root vegetables and try quinoa for the first time.  I’ll be back to let you know how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment