Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Day 34 - Coddling My Inner Cookie Monster

There are times when I feel the need for a sweet treat.  Although I have no complaints about my new vegan eating plan and I've discovered many wonderful new dishes, there are still moments when I crave just a little extra.  So my exploration of vegan cooking has occasionally veered into the realm of vegan baking.  And the cookie is the perfect little treat for me.  It's small, it freezes well, and it's easy to bake.



When I originally tried this vegan oatmeal cookie recipe, I added Craisins to it.  But because I used a very ripe banana, it ended up tasting more of banana than anything else.  So I decided to keep the ripe banana, toss out the Craisins and add walnuts.  Walnuts are the only nuts recommended on my low-fat vegan food plan.  Like flax seeds, they're very high in heart-healthy Omega-3 fatty acids.  And there are so few in the cookies that I feel confident that I needn't worry about the fat.  So these oatmeal cookies are now Banana Walnut cookies and are a terrific way to get rid of those last two over-ripe bananas.


Banana Walnut Cookies

Preheat oven to 350.

Blend in blender until smooth:
1½ very ripe bananas
½ c. applesauce (lunchbox size)
2 t. vanilla
½ c. brown sugar (or comparable sweetener)

Mix together in bowl:
1 cup of whole wheat flour
1½ t. baking powder
1/8 t. salt
1 t. cinnamon
dash nutmeg

Add the banana mixture into the dry ingredients.  When well mixed, stir in:

¾  c. rolled oats
¼ c. chopped walnuts

Drop by rounded teaspoons full (or use cookie scoop) onto lightly-sprayed parchment-lined cookie sheets.  Flatten cookies with fork.  Bake at 350 for 20 to 30 minutes or until lightly browned.  Cookies will take longer to bake because of absence of fat and baking times will vary depending upon the size of the cookie.  Check after 15 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment