Friday, August 2, 2013

Day 218 -- Bill Clinton, Vegan-In-Chief

I came across this article on the AARP website (no, I don't visit there, it was linked from another blog) about Bill Clinton and his recent switch to veganism -- Bill Clinton Explains Why He Became A Vegan.  To be honest, Clinton was one of the inspirations I had for trying a vegan diet.  He had experienced the kind of heart problems that have plagued my own parents and he chose veganism because it represented the best and fastest way to get healthy.



The reporter describes a lunch they had along with his conversation about Clinton's vegan diet.  Many of Clinton's thoughts about the diet are the same as mine are.  He misses yogurt and cheese, eats as much as he wants as long as it's low fat, and is feeling more healthy than he has in years.  All things that I've expressed.

I was bemused by one of the comments -- that because Clinton eats a piece of salmon or Omega-3 eggs once a week, that he isn't a "real" vegan.  I know that ethical vegans seem to hold themselves to a higher standard, but my feeling is that if 99% of your calories come from plants, you should be able to call yourself a vegan.  There is no other term to describe the diet you maintain for the majority of the time.  I wouldn't tell someone I was a vegetarian, because they might choose to make me a grilled cheese sandwich for lunch.  I say I'm a vegan because, for the great majority of the time, I choose not to eat meat, eggs or cheese.  I'm a vegan who occasionally cheats on their diet.  Besides, who made you the word police?



On another note, the recipes were posted for the vegan lunch, so I've decided to repost them here because, hey, if they're good enough for Bill Clinton, they're good enough for me!

Roasted Cauliflower and Cherry Tomatoes
Serves 4
1 head cauliflower
5 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon chopped garlic
Salt, to taste
White pepper, to taste
1/2 pint cherry tomatoes
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon chopped parsley

1. Clean the cauliflower and cut into small florets.
2. Toss the cauliflower with 2 teaspoons olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper, and roast at 375° F for 15 to 20 minutes.
3. Toss the tomatoes in 1 teaspoon olive oil and add to the cauliflower. Roast an additional 8 minutes.
4. Whisk together the Dijon mustard and the vinegar, then slowly incorporate the remaining 2 teaspoons olive oil to make the vinaigrette.
5. In a bowl, gently toss together the cauliflower-tomatoes mixture, the parsley and the vinaigrette. Serve. 

No comments:

Post a Comment