Monday, August 5, 2013

Day 221 -- Is It Peaches Yet?

Second only to "cherry time" in my summer calendar, and right before "sweet corn time", comes "peaches time."



There are certain foods that you can only enjoy once a year and peaches are one of them.  When they're sweet and juicy and perfect, I'm even more excited to put fruit into my diet.  But I'm very fussy about my peaches.  They can't be mealy or I throw them out immediately.  So buying peaches is like gambling -- you never know what you're going to get.

I've found that peaches that smell "peachy" are usually the best bet, although I've been fooled by scent before.  Because of this, I'm reluctant to buy one of my favorite fruits for fear that I'll be disappointed.  So today, when I go to the grocery store, I'm going to buy peaches AND nectarines AND maybe a few plums.  Hey, I bought 10 Powerball tickets Wednesday night (and didn't match a single number).  Maybe this time I'll come out a winner.

ETA:  And just in time for peaches, Fat Free Vegan has a wonderful Peach Oatmeal Bar recipe.  Check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment