Thursday, August 8, 2013

Day 225 -- The Next Superfood?

Huffington Post is running a contest to name the next superfood.  I found this kind of funny because of the foods listed -- hemp seed, chia seed, rhubarb, kohlrabi, tumeric, maca, kimchi and kelp -- there was only one that I haven't ever had in my kitchen.

My father is a huge fan of kohlrabi and has always had them in his garden.  I have hemp and chia seed in the house and a rhubarb plant in my back yard (although, I didn't make my favorite rhubarb dessert this year because it has dairy in it).  Turmeric is the new weapon in the war on Alzheimer's.  Kelp is . . . well, kelp.  And everyone knows about my fondness for kimchi (see multiples posts on multiple days).



But . . . I have never heard of maca!  A potential superfood that I've never heard of?  What is it?  According to HuffPost maca is a powder made from an Andean root and has been used as a fertility aid and aphrodisiac for centuries. Modern research agrees: Small studies have found that men who ingested maca produced more sperm and both men and women who take it reported increased energy.

Okay, I don't think I'm going to be adding this to the diet any time soon.  I'll stick with my kimchi and maybe up my intake of kelp.  

No comments:

Post a Comment