Monday, August 12, 2013

Day 229 -- One Potato, Two Potato . . . Fifty Potato?

I'm reaping the benefits of my dad's huge garden this summer.  And one of the veggies he's planted is potatoes.  Actually, two types, red and yellow.  Until I saw my dad dig potatoes for the first time last year, I never really knew how potatoes grew.  I knew they grew underground, of course, but seeing them emerge from the dirt for the first time is so much fun!



When the shovel turns the dirt over, there they are, small and large, breaking free and lying at your feet.  When you dig a plant, the potatoes come up in a variety of sizes, so I have a bucket of very small red potatoes, about the size of a ping-pong ball, and then larger potatoes, almost the size of my fist.  Freshly dug potatoes are so tasty, too!

I found this recipe for Smoky Potato, Cabbage and Chickpea Skillet on a vegan blog called MapleSpice.  Though it calls for vegan "parmesan cheese" which I'm not sure I can find anywhere in my area, I'm stil going to give this a try!

A little tip I'll pass along about freshly dug potatoes -- It's best not to wash off the dirt until right before you use them.  They'll remain fresh longer!

No comments:

Post a Comment