Thursday, February 7, 2013

Day 43 -- Are We There Yet?

They say it takes three  weeks to break a habit.  I'm not sure who "they" is, but some other "theys" think it takes 30 days.  And other "theys" say six weeks.  I even found a study that said sixty-six days.  Not sixty-five, not sixty-seven, but sixty-six days.   Today is the first day of my seventh week of eating vegan.  So, at this point, according to all but one study, my eating habits have supposedly taken root and I'm not going to be as tempted to stray.

Well, it's clear that "they" have never met "me."  I have indeed managed to stay on diets six weeks and then go off them.  Many times  But, I've come to the conclusion that what I'm doing really isn't a diet, it's a change in lifestyle.  When you diet, you're supposed to be hungry all the time.  I'm not.  When you diet, you're supposed to force yourself to eat foods you don't really like.  I don't.  When you diet, you're supposed to be obsessed with every fraction of a pound that you lose.  I really don't care.  Dieting is about feeling deprived, and I don't.

I'm eating the healthiest food I can eat. And as much as I want, whenever I want. Whole grains all the time.  Plenty of legumes.  No added fat.  Reduced sugar.  No meat, dairy or eggs.  Organic when I can afford it.  And vitamin supplements to make sure I'm getting what I need.  All of these things have helped me to feel better, both physically and mentally.  I don't get the sugar highs and lows.  I don't get that yucky feeling from eating too much processed food or too much fat.  And I'm not dealing with nightly acid reflux that keeps me from sleeping.



"They" say you should never go into a grocery store when you're hungry.  Last night I did.  I was starving (not by choice, I'd been away from home for 4 hours)  but I wanted to pick up some sweet potatoes so I could make that killer Black Bean and Sweet Potato Chili (Day 39) that I wrote about a few days ago.  I walked past the bakery and looked at all the treats.  I strolled by the deli and checked out what was in the cases.  And yes, my stomach growled.  But I didn't feel tempted in the least, because I knew exactly what that food had done to me in the past.

I don't begrudge anyone their cream puffs or their Ben and Jerry's or a big thick steak.  If I could eat that and feel good, believe me, I would.  But that kind of food didn't make me feel good.  And eating vegan does.  So, if anyone is reading this and you don't feel good, try a vegan diet and see if it works for you.  Maybe it will, maybe it won't.  But you won't know until you try.  And be sure to give it at least six weeks.

Now, if I could only get in the habit of flossing, my world would be perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment