Friday, February 22, 2013

Day 58 -- What A Loser

Since embarking on my vegan journey, I've become more curious about nutrition and diet -- and, to some extent, exercise.  Yes, I do at least think about exercise, though I haven't made any attempt to add it into my new lifestyle.  Some studies have shown that exercise only contributes between 10 and 30 percent to weigh loss efforts and that diet is the over-riding factor in successful weight loss.

For now, I'm just focussing on diet  And when my six month mark rolls around, I've promised myself that I'm going to think about exercise.  It will be warm and sunny by then.  And much easier to get outside.  And while I'm cooped up during the cold winter months, I've been watching episodes of "The Biggest Loser."  I'm getting my exercise by watching other people exercise.



First of all, let me say that these people are so incredibly brave to go on national television, to put themselves out there for everyone to see.  I could never do it.  And then, to put themselves through the physical challenges that the trainers give them.  Even at my most healthy weight and 30 years younger, I couldn't do what they do.  And to have those trainers yelling at you all day long would get on my very last nerve.  I don't handle authority very well and I'm sure I'd be the first one to snap.

But what I find so interesting about the show is how much weight they are able to shed in a week. Nine pounds, eleven pounds, thirteen pounds.  They're actually disappointed if they lose four pounds in a week. The trainers are disappointed.  For me, four pounds is a stellar week!  But the competitive atmosphere seems to spur them on.

I guess it only proves the point that you have to find something that really works for you. For me, it's this.  Eating vegan, no added fat, all whole grains.  Writing something in my blog every day.  Searching for new recipes.  It doesn't seem like a chore.  I'm sure I could lose more if I exercised, but right now, that doesn't work for me.  I need to shed more weight before this body will be moving at any great speed.

It's enough to say that I'm happy, I'm gradually getting healthier and I'm approaching the two month mark.  In another month I will already be a quarter of the way to my goal -- a year of eating vegan.  There won't be a big cash prize waiting for me at the end, like there is on The Biggest Loser.  And I may not have lost every pound I wanted to.  But I don't think I'll mind.  I'm just enjoying the journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment