Monday, February 18, 2013

Day 54 -- Oh-So-Good Oats

After my rant yesterday, I decided that I'd go right down to the kitchen and make some oatmeal.  Yes, it was past noon, but I wanted to see what all the fuss was about.  I've eaten instant oatmeal in the past, but I'd read that steel cut or Irish oatmeal was the gourmet's choice when it came to porridge.  I had a package of Bob's Red Mill Steel Cut Oats in the freezer and when I pulled it out, I noticed that it had been awarded first place in some world oatmeal championship in Scotland.  I was starting with the best.

I know I can make oatmeal in my rice cooker, but I decided to cook it on the stovetop for the first time, just to make sure I was eating the best of the best.  Unfortunately, after it was cooking for awhile, I realized that I added too much water  -- 3/4 of a cup!  Stupid measuring cup was 1 1/4 cups to the top mark, not 1 cup.  So, I scooped out about that much water when it was simmering and went on.  After about 20 minutes (I forgot to set the timer) it looked like it was thickening up.  It was supposed to rest for 2 minutes off the burner, so I watched the clock.



I have to say, it didn't look like much when I scooped it into my bowl.  "Gruel" was the word that came to mind.  But I topped it off with a handful of frozen blueberries and a drizzle of honey and dug in.  And . . . it was really, really good!  Not just good, yummy!  It was creamy, yet still had a nice texture to it.  And the slightly tart blueberries with the tiny bit of honey was just perfect.  How did I go so long without discovering this wondrful breakfast food?

Tomorrow, I'm going to grind my flax seed and add it to my oatmeal.  I'm not sure if the leftover porridge will be as good as today's serving, but I'm going to try.  I'll also address the issue of honey -- is it or is it not all right for a vegan to eat?

No comments:

Post a Comment