Sunday, February 17, 2013

Day 53 -- I'm Doing The Best That I Can

Since December 27th, fifty-three days ago, I've made a major shift in my lifestyle, moving from a junkfood-laden omnivorous diet to a healthy plant-based diet.  I've tried my best to follow the rules laid out by Caldwell Esselstyn's book "Preventing and Reversing Heart Disease."  But then, yesterday, I came across a speech given by Ann Esselstyn, Caldwell's wife, and realized that I'm not doing everything I can to maximize the benefits of this diet.



Well, all I can say to that is "Pffftt!"  I'm doing the best that I can. I know I should buy organic, but I'm on a budget.  I know I should cut back more on the sugar, but compared to what I used to eat, a few added tablespoons a day isn't going to kill me, is it?  And I have been using non-stick spray in my cooking, which is added oil -- a big no-no.  And I don't eat enough greens.  Some days, I don't eat any greens.  Truth be told, I hate eating greens.

So there.  My healthy vegan confession.  Forgive me, Ann, for I have sinned.  Over the course of the next year, I'll try to do better.  But after watching this interview and reading the summary, I realized there were a few more things I ought to be doing.

1) No faux meat -- Wait a second, Ann!  My vegan Boca burgers are a staple in my life!!!  They're the only thing standing between me and the Macdonald's drive-thru.

2) Forget about vegan cheese --  I never think about it.  Ever.  Real cheese is a different story.  I dream about it.

3) Eat oats -- especially for breakfast -- All right, I have a package of steel cut oats in my freezer and it's been in there for about six weeks.  I'm going to cook some up and give it a try -- if I can find it amongst all the packages of Boca burgers I'm not supposed to eat.

4)  Limit salt -- especially in broths and canned veggies -- I haven't been as diligent on this as I should be.  In truth, I don't even think about salt.  Why?  Because I'm too busy thinking about fat!  But I'll try to look for low-salt beans and broth.  But don't even think of coming after my miso!  That's where I draw the line.

5) Drink water -- No diet soda, no fruit juice, no smoothies.  Now, the smoothie has been my breakfast staple for the past few months.  It's how I get my greens (sometimes) and my flax seed (all the time).  And my favorite flavored water (which is technically diet soda without the salt) satisfies my sweet cravings.  I do drink water and I like drinking water, but I'm afraid I'm not going to give up my breakfast smoothies.  Unless, I start liking oatmeal.  Hey, I spent almost $100 on a NutriBullet.  I guess I can use it for the margaritas I plan to add to my diet.  They're plant-based, aren't they?

So, Ann, I will try harder to eat a more plant-perfect diet.  I'll give the oatmeal a try.  I'll look for low- or no- sodium beans and broth.  But please, understand, I'm doing the best that I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment