Friday, March 1, 2013

Day 65 -- The Perfect Breakfast?

Breakfast is such an important meal of the day -- at least that's what all the nutritionists tell us.  People who don't eat breakfast are 75% more likely to be overweight.  I have found that if I eat a decent breakfast, I'm able to make it through the rest of the day without the usual cravings and the glycemic highs and lows.  But what constitutes an ideal breakfast?

According to an article in SELF magazine, the perfect breakfast should make up 25 to 30% of your total daily calorie intake, which for me would be between 375 and 450 calories.  And the meal should consist of 53% carbs, 27% fat and 20% protien.   My favorite pre-vegan breakfast at a local diner consisted of 3 over-medium fried eggs, hashbrowns (with butter), a medium-rare breakfast steak, an English muffin (with butter and honey), and a big diet Coke.  I can admit now that that breakfast got me as far as home and then put me right back to sleep.  It was definitely not the best way to start the day.



As a new vegan, I had been enjoying fruit smoothies for breakfast, made in my shiny new NutriBullet.  I used a combination of fresh and frozen fruit, a little soy milk, 2 tablespoons of flax seed , and greens (usually hearts of romine).  It was a good breakfast and I have to say, it's about the only way I was getting any greens.  And then I discovered Irish oatmeal.

Now, breakfast has become a cup of creamy oatmeal mixed with two tablespoons of ground brown flax seed, freshly ground in my repurposed NutriBullet.  I top it off with a handful of frozen blueberries and a drizzle of honey and I'm good to go.  So, does this breakfast meet the requirements that SELF magazine laid out for a perfect breakfast?  It has 63 grams of carbs, 11 grams of fat and 11.5 grams of protien with a total calorie count of 366 calories.  Calorie breakdown is 63% carbs, 25% fat and 12% protien.  Though it's not perfect, it isn't far off.  A little more protien, a little less carbs would be good, but I do get quite a bit of protien later in the day, so I'm pretty happy with this breakfast.  

Will this be my standard breakfast?  I don't know.  I wish there were a way to incorporate greens.  Maybe I need to switch back and forth between a green shake one day and oatmeal the next.  I have another 300 days to figure it out. I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment