Sunday, March 24, 2013

Day 88 -- Any Day Is A Good Day For Fajitas!

One of my favorite things to eat when I go out is fajitas.  I used to eat them with steak or shrimp, but now days I make them at home with portobello mushrooms, onions and red bell peppers.  I bought a packet of fajita seasoning mix and that added a little bit of flavor to my stir fry, but next time, I'm going to add my own lime juice and chili powder for a more natural taste.



One of my biggest problems in finding a low-fat vegan version of fajitas was not leaving out the meat, but finding a good tortilla.  I tried the Food For Life sprouted grain tortillas but they were kind of dry.  Then I found the Ole brand Xtreme Wellness wraps at WalMart.  The High Fiber/Low Carb variety has no fat and 9 grams of fiber in each wrap.  I found them a little soft and delicate, but I think I'm going to throw them into a frying pan next time and see if I can put a little toast on them.

They also make a corn tortilla which I want to try.  I'd like to make veggie enchiladas.  Baked dishes are something that I haven't had much of since starting to eat vegan.  Casseroles don't have much going for them when there isn't any cheese.  But veggie-filled enchiladas smothered in sauce might be pretty tasty.


No comments:

Post a Comment