Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Day 77 -- Tropical Fruits -- The Pineapple, Part Two

Since I'm ruminating on pineapple, I decided to post two very non-vegan pineapple recipes in honor of my childhood.  These two non-vegan recipes are from my mother's collection and I mentioned them in my last blog post.  In my next post, I'll address the health benefits of pineapple and post a recipe for vegan Pineapple Upside-Down Cake.



Gelatine Salad
2 packages of Jello, lemon or lime
1 pkg cottage cheese (16 oz)
1 c. salad dressing (Miracle Whip)
2 c. hot water
1 c. canned pineapple (crushed)
2 c. thick cream (heavy cream)

Dissovle Jello in hot water.  Cool.   Add salad dressing to cottage cheese and mix with beater until smooth.  Add his to gelatine mixture along with sald, pineapple and cream.  Pour into mould and chill.

(Note:  I copied these directly from recipes my mother had written out.  The info in parens it mine.  This isn't a low cal Jello salad by any means.  But it really was yummy)

Pineapple Refrigerator Cake
1/2 lb. vanilla wafers, butter cookies or graham crackers
1/2 c. butter
1 1/2 c. powdered sugar
2 eggs

Roll wafers into crumbs and put half of them in bottom of 12" x 8" x 2" pan.  Cream butter and sugar.  Add eggs one at a time and beat until smooth.  Pour mixture over crumbs.  Whip 1/2 pint cream.  Add 1 can (9 oz.) pineapple, well drained.  Pour over first mixture.  Cover with rest of crumbs and put in refrigerator over nite.

(Note:  This contains raw eggs.  Back in the 1960s, I'm not sure anyone worried about eating recipes with raw eggs, but we do now, to proceed at your own risk!)

No comments:

Post a Comment