Saturday, March 30, 2013

Day 94 -- Eight Dollars Worth Of Beets?

How far should one go to make a good recipe?  Should cost even come into the equation when one is making something healthy to eat?  And if so, how much is too much?

These are the questions I posed to myself as I stared at the bunches of organic golden beets.  I needed two bunches.  A total of six small to medium size beets. And at $3.99 a bunch, I was torn.  I could use red beets instead, but the recipe called for golden.  And these were organic.  The regular red beets were much less expensive and non-organic . . . but they weren't golden.  Yeah, vegan world problems.  It was late at night, the store about about to close and I couldn't make a decision.  It didn't seem pathetic at the time, I swear.



I began to think of everyone else in the store and what they were buying.  A decent steak would cost at least $8.00 and provide just one meal for one person. This dish would make at least three meals for me.  And I'd already been to one other grocery store looking (in vain) for golden beets.  I started to think that maybe this was a recipe that I ought to put away until summer, when I could get golden beets from my dad's garden or from the farmer's market.

But then I decided to splurge.  After all, in my former life as a carnivore, I used to spend that same amount on a piece of salmon or a steak.  Why should I deny myself now when what I was worrying over was healthy and nutritious?  If it were an $8.00 carton of gourmet ice cream, I would have said no.  But beets -- especially organic beets -- are good for you.

So, all this to make this dish --  Golden Beet Salad with Roasted Shallots, Parsley and Orange Miso Dressing.  It's from my new favorite website -- Oh She Glows.  By the way, it was fabulous and worth every penny.  The Orange Miso dressing (I made mine with just a teaspoon of sesame oil) is heavenly.  I used regular yellow miso for that.  And I served the whole thing on top of some baby greens and herbs.  Definitely something I'm going to make again -- once golden beets get cheaper.

No comments:

Post a Comment