Sunday, March 17, 2013

Day 81 -- Resistance Is Not Futile

Last night, I went out with co-workers after a day-long event.  We went to a local sports bar/restaurant for drinks.  Of course, after a long day, I was ready for a good Bloody Mary (the perfect vegan cocktail) but I also prepared myself for the onslaught of cheesy, deep-fried treats that were sure to arrive at the table.  Would I be able to resist?  The last time I went out, I did indulge in chips and salsa and a real meal, without the meat and dairy, of course.  But this time, I was really, really hungry.



Luckily, my Bloody Mary came with a dill pickle and olives, so I did have a little something vegan to eat. And the place was terribly busy, so the food took a long time arriving. Would I indulge or not?  The question kept running through my mind and I realized that I really didn't have to make a decision any more.  I had no intention of eating anything.  I didn't need to, I didn't want to, and I really wasn't feeling tempted at all.

Had there been something available that fit my vegan eating plan, I probably would have eaten, but there was nothing on the menu that looked good, not that I took much time to search.  In truth, I walked in knowing that there wouldn't be anything healthy to eat so I just decided to wait until I got home to eat.  I didn't feel deprived nor was it uncomfortable while everyone else was eating and I wasn't.  I did look at all the food and was surprised at my reaction.  None of it looked very appealing.  And this from someone who dreams about cheese!

When I think about the future, I suspect that there will be continuing challenges.  But as time passes, these challenges seem to be less and less important.  Do I really care about eating nachos loaded with cheese?  At one time, I would have answered yes.  But food has a different place in my life now.  It's nutrition -- not entertainment, not comfort, not reward.  Strange how that's all changed and in such a short time. 

The Perfect (Vegan) Bloody Mary

4 TB grated horseradish, plus additional for garnish
1 TB Tabasco sauce, plus additional for garnish
1 TB Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon(s) celery salt (optional)
15 grinds black pepper
1 1/2 quart(s) (one 46- to 48-ounce can or bottle) tomato juice
Juice of 1 lemon or lime
Up to 2 ounces vodka per serving
Celery, trimmed to 6-inch lengths, for garnish
Lemon or lime wedges, for garnish (optional)

Make the Bloody Mary base: Combine the horseradish, Tabasco, Worcestershire, celery salt (if using), pepper, and tomato juice in a pitcher and stir well. You can make the base a day in advance. Regardless of how far in advance you make it, chill it in the fridge until just before you make the drinks.
Just before serving, add the juice of half a lemon or lime and stir. Taste and add more citrus juice as necessary.

To serve, fill a glass (at Five Points we use a pint glass; you could also use a wineglass) with ice, add up to 2 ounces vodka, and top with the Bloody Mary base. Serve with a trimmed celery stalk. Have additional horseradish, Tabasco, and small lemon or lime wedges available to guests who want to add additional seasoning to their drinks.


No comments:

Post a Comment