Thursday, May 2, 2013

Day 127 -- Happy Birthday, Sissies! And Bro!

Today, May 2nd, is the birthday of both of my sisters.  They aren't twins.  They were born exactly two yeaars apart on the same date.  Two years later, my brother was born on May 8th.  In honor of their birthdays, I went in search of a cake recipe that meets my vegan requirements and is also low in fat -- a tall order, but not impossible.

Vegan baking comes with it's own complex set of problems and most of those start with the eggs, butter and oil usually used in traditional baking.  How does one replace such important elements with plant-based alternatives.  I've used egg substitute for several attempts at baking, but bananas also work as well.  Applesauce is a good choice to use as a binder, but it can also be used to replace fat in a recipe.  For more info on vegan substitutes in baking, use this extensive list from VeganBaking.net!



This recipe for Vegan Chocolate Cake, from the CHOW website, uses all the goodies -- vegan margarine (a pound and a half between the cake and frosting!), but a birthday only comes once a year.  So I guess it's okay to just let 'er rip.  Happy Birthday, L and E and B!  I'm not going to make this cake for you, or for me, but it's the thought that counts.  For me, just looking at the picture is enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment