Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Day 152 -- I Scream for Ice Cream (Or Non-Dairy Frozen Dessert)

One of the things I've really missed as a vegan (besides cheese, of course) is ice cream.  I used to love to take a trip to the local Dairy Queen and grab a small vanilla cone at the drive-thru.  My favorite flavor of store-bought ice cream was Ben & Jerry's Cherry Garcia.  And it didn't take me long to go through a box of Haagen-Dazs or Dove ice cream bars.  I loved the coffee flavor.  But now that dairy is out, I didn't think I was left with any alternatives.  

Now, I knew that there were vegan alternatives for ice cream, but I couldn't imagine that they would taste good.  But I've learned to enjoy almond milk and coconut milk, so I decided to take a risk and buy a pint.  Unfortunately, it seems that nutritionally, even vegan ice cream is loaded with fat.  Still, I wanted to give it a try so I picked up a pint of So Delicious Coconut Milk Chocolate ice cream (or non-dairy frozen dessert, as it is called).  
I have to say that this was really, really good.  It was creamy and dense, just like real ice cream.  In fact, the texture was more like gelato  It did have a mild coconut taste, but I liked that flavor mixed with chocolate.   This ice cream comes in so many flavors and also comes in "no sugar added" versions although they only offered three options at WalMart.  The flavors include Cherry Amaretto, Chocolate, Chocolate Brownie Almond, Coconut, Coconut Almond Chip, Cookie Dough, Cookies N Cream, German Chocolate, Green Tea, Mint Chip, Mocha Almond Fudge, Passionate Mango, Pomegranate Chip, Turtle Trails, and Vanilla Bean.  The no-sugar-added flavors are Butter Pecan, Chocolate, Mint Chip, Toasted Almond Chip, and Vanilla Bean. 

ETA:  I also bought a pint of Purely Decadent Cherry Nirvana, which has dark red cherries and chocolate.  I thought it might taste like my favorite Ben & Jerry's Cherry Garcia.  Well, it didn't.  I had a really awful artificial taste and was quite unpleasant.  I managed a few spoonfuls before I had to toss it back in the freezer.  It will probably go in the garbage soon.   If I had a tag for "Not Good Eats", this would get it.  

1 comment:

  1. 3 Researches PROVE Why Coconut Oil Kills Waist Fat.

    The meaning of this is that you literally kill fat by eating Coconut Fats (including coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 researches from large medicinal magazines are sure to turn the conventional nutrition world around!

    ReplyDelete