Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Day 138 -- VB6 (Vegan Before 6)

I just seem to be finding such interesting things on the interwebz lately.  Six years ago, Mark Bittman, a New York Times food writer, was 30 pounds overweight, had high cholesterol and blood sugar, and was told by doctors that he needed to lose weight.  He struggled to decide how to do his job and listen to his doctors at the same time. Then one of his doctors suggested that he eat vegan.  When he claimed it would be impossible, the doctor said, "You're a smart guy, figure it out."  And so he came up with a plan to eat vegan before 6 p.m.  Or, VB6 as it is now called.  This article on Huffington Post talks about his diet plan.

What he discovered was that even eating vegan for 80% of the day was enough to bring on healthy benefits. This really is kind of a no-brainer.  I'm surprised that a guy who knows so much about food wouldn't realize that eating vegan, even if it was just before 6 p.m. wouldn't be of benefit to his health.

I don't have any plans to abandon my vegan diet right now, or in the near future.  But there may come a point when I decide to add dairy or eggs back into my diet and leaving them both until after six would make a lot of sense.  Or maybe I'll just eat vegan at home and add dairy and eggs in when I eat out.  I find it strange that I don't think much about adding meat back into my diet.  Right now, I don't miss meat.  I do miss cheese -- a lot.  And baked goods.

No comments:

Post a Comment