Friday, May 10, 2013

Day 134 -- Summer Is The Season For Sammiches!

Summer is quickly approaching and now that the weather is warm, I'm looking for some cooler alternatives when it comes to lunch and dinner.  The same old soups and stews just don't seem that appealing on a hot summer day.  So, I've been on the lookout for some good sandwich recipes.

Once of my favorite sandwiches is a roasted veggie sandwich.  I usually roast up some red peppers and sweet onions, then add some roasted portobellos or root veggies (beets or rutabaga are good) or a slab of roasted cauliflower and spread on some home-made hummus.  I blogged about that tasty sandwich on Day 73.



The first step to a superior sammich is to find a really good whole grain bread.  My local grocery store bakes a nice whole grain rustic loaf.  Sliced thin and toasted, it's the perfect foil to a good sandwich interior.  Today, I tried a recipe from Vegetarian Times -- Baguette with Roasted Red Pepper Spread.  I have to say that it was the picture that hooked me, but as soon as I read the ingredients, I was anxious to make it.

I made my very first purchase of vegan cream cheese (Tofutti brand) and whipped this up.  Instead of the radicchio and romaine, I used an herb mix and discovered that dill tastes really good on this sammich!  Next time, I'm going to pick out the dill from my herb mix for a little extra taste.  This would also be good with a bit of diced celery, too.  

No comments:

Post a Comment