Monday, May 27, 2013

Day 151 -- Is Beer Vegan?

Beer season is upon us!  Yes, I do drink beer in the winter, too.  But a cold beer always tastes better on a hot summer day with something (anything) that's been cooked on a grill.  I'd heard a rumor that some brands of beer were not vegan.  Now, the thought of beer containing meat kind of grossed me out.  But then, maybe it was eggs or dairy that caused beer to fail the vegan test.



It turns out that some beers are clarified using gelatin which is made from the bones and connective tissues (yuck, that sounds icky) of animals.  Or (wait for the ick here) using isinglass which is made from fish bladders.  Fish bladders?  Now I really wanted to know what beers to avoid.

A little internet research brought up this list from VegNews.  The shorter version is that both Budweiser and Miller are vegan!  So is Heineken, Corona, and Becks.  So, bring on the hot weather and the cold beer.  I'm all ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment