Thursday, May 30, 2013

Day 154 -- A Mighty Little Mushroom

It can sometimes be a problem coming up with subject matter for this blog.  Writing every day is something I made a commitment to do to help me focus on eating well.  But I don't always have time to search out new recipes and test them.  So I often write about new things I've tasted.

My list keeps getting longer, mostly by design.  When I run out of things to write about, I run to the store and buy something I've never eaten before.  A recent trip to the grocery store resulted in my purchase of three morel mushrooms.  According the sign, they're in season in my part of the country.  There was no price on them but I figured how expensive could they be?  Maybe $15 or $20 a pound?  Three mushrooms couldn't weigh that much.



When I got to the check-out, I learned that they were $40 a pound and I had $4.00 worth in my bag.  I decided to give them a try since I'd never eaten them before.  It turns out the best way to eat them is sauteed in butter, so I decided to break by vegan diet and eat a bit of butter, just so I could taste the morel at its best.

I scoured the internet to find info on how to prepare these for cooking and there were many different opinions about washing or rinsing them or putting them into salt water.  Apparently, there are little bugs that like to hide in their curly structure.  I also heeded the warning to cook them thoroughly because a raw morel can cause stomach distress.

As they were cooking the scent was heavenly, almost like meat frying, rich and savory.  And the taste was just as good, like the best of mushrooms but intensified.  There was a bit of grit and I'm not sure if it was dirt or those little black bugs, but it didn't diminish the wonderful taste.  Morels have a very short harvest season and this year I was lucky to stumble upon them.  I can add them to my list now and I hope that I stumble across them next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment