Monday, May 13, 2013

Day 137 -- A Week's Worth Of Groceries

A friend of mine posted this link on Facebook and I found it so intriguing that I had to write about it.  The story, What A Week Of Groceries Looks Like Around The World, comes out of a photo project by Peter Menzel.  He and Faith D'Aluisio collaborated on a book called Hungry Planet: What the World Eats. I'm going to post two photos from the article, but you need to see the rest.  The first is a week's worth of groceries from an American family.


And then we have a photo of a family from Guatemala.


The rest of the photos are so enlightening.  The reliance on packaged and processed foods in some countries is stunning.  It's not just the U.S., but Australia and Canada, too, along with some European countries.  Though the photos may not represent an entire culture (maybe they just show a family who doesn't eat that well), it's still difficult to find the fruits and veggies and whole grains in many of these photos.  And then look at the family from Guatemala.  Virtually no processed food. A diet full of whole foods.

Starting today, I'm going to keep track of everything I eat in a week and then imagine what my photo would look like.  Or maybe I'll try to take a photo.  I'm interested to know what my groceries would look like displayed against the rest of the world's.    

No comments:

Post a Comment