Monday, July 1, 2013

Day 187 -- Oui, Oui! It's A French Green Lentil

It's one of my favorite times of the year -- time for the Tour De France!  For most of July, I sit in front of the television watching as cyclists speed through the French countryside.  It's not that I love cycling.  What I really love is the scenery!  And it was good fortune when I recently happened upon a small bag of French green lentils (Le Puy lentils) at my local natural foods store.   I've looked for them before but they must have just recently ordered them and now, in honor of the Tour De France, I'll have a chance to try this recipe for Curried French Lentils from Straight-Up Food.



I've been looking forward to cooking with Le Puy lentils.  They're considered the most flavorful of the lentil varieties and have a delicate, peppery taste.  They originated in Le Puy, France but are now grown in Italy and North America.  Le Puy is about an hour and a half southwest of Lyon.  So, while I'm watching the French countryside, I'm going to be eating a wonderful curry of Le Puy lentils, cauliflower, sweet potato, onion and celery.  Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment