Friday, July 26, 2013

Day 211 -- My Little Herb Garden -- Cilantro

I've been obsessed with cilantro lately.  And it just doesn't seem to grow fast enough in my little herb garden.  As fast as it grows, I pick it.  I've been putting it on top of my Roasted Sweet Potato and Black Bean Chili.  Yes, I eat chili in the summer time.  And I've been putting in stir fries and adding it to sandwiches and salads.  But one thing I haven't done is made a really killer guacamole with it.  And since I've been buying avocados on a regular basis, I decided to look for a good guacamole recipe.


I found this recipe on the Simply Recipes website and it's called the Perfect Guacamole from Elise Bauer.  I've modified it a bit to make it My Favorite Guacamole!  By the way, the word guacamole comes from two Aztec Nahuatl words – ahuacatl (avocado) and molli (sauce).



The Best Guacamole
2 ripe avocados
1/2 cup red onion, chopped finely
1 jalapeno, stem and seeds removed, minced finely
1/4 cup fresh cilantro (leaves and tender stems), finely chopped
1 tablespoon of fresh lime juice
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
Freshly grated black pepper
1/2 ripe tomato, seeds and pulp removed, chopped

Cut avocados in half and remove the seed, then slice into narrow wedges.  Peel the skin from the flesh and put in a bowl.  Mash the avocado, leaving come larger chunks.

Add the chopped onion, cilantro, lime juice, salt and pepper and mash some more. Add a bit of the jalapeno to the guacamole and taste.  Keep adding until it reaches the desired heat.  I don't add much, but some people like it hot.  If you're making ahead, cover the guacamole with plastic wrap, pressing the wrap against the dip and refrigerate.  However, I don't like it as much once it's been refrigerated, so I think it's best to make it right before serving.  Whichever way you do it,  mix in the chopped tomatoes just before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment