Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Day 216 -- Fruit Crisps And Crumbles

Peaches are in season now and some of the most fragrant and juicy varieties are available at the grocery store.  In my former days as an unhealthy un-vegan eater, I used to make a killer fruit "kuchen".  It had a buttery crust topped with fresh fruit and custard made of eggs, sugar and sour cream, and topped with streusel.  Yum!



Of course, that's off the list now, but I have made a couple of fruit crisps using pie cherries picked from my cherry tree.  I just found this recipe for a healthy fruit crisp on the Smart Balance facebook page and I'm going to add it to my recipe book.  I've tweaked it a bit, but I think it's worth a try.

Fruit Crisp
Filling:
3 cups sweet peaches, sliced and peeled, or any fresh fruit
6 tbsp honey
1/2 lemon, zested and juiced
3 tsp cornstarch

Topping:
3/4 cup quick oats
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
1/3 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup light brown sugar
3/4 tsp cinnamon
1/3 cup vegan (healthy) margerine

Heat oven to 375°F.  Combine fruit, honey, lemon juice and zest in large bowl.  Sprinkle with cornstarch. Toss until fruit is coated.  Place fruit in an ungreased pie dish.  Mix remaining ingredients. Sprinkle over the fruit.  Bake about 40 minutes or until topping is golden brown and fruit is tender.

No comments:

Post a Comment