Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Day 189 -- Yikes!

Lately, I've been getting a lot of comfort food recipes that pop up on my Facebook feed.  All of them are non-vegan, but I've taken to reading them because at one point in my life, I probably would have copied them and even considered making them for some type of family or work gathering.  This one popped up this morning and as I scanned it, I just found myself a bit taken aback.  This is a recipe for an appetizer -- BLT Dip.  A snack.  Something you eat before a meal.



1-1/2 pound bacon, cooked, drained, crumbled, and divided
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
2 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 cup cheddar cheese (shredded) or to taste
1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder (or to taste)
1 tablespoons mustard
2 cups chopped seeded tomatoes
1-1/2 cup shredded Iceberg lettuce
pepper an salt to taste

The bacon alone has 300 grams of fat in it.  The cheese contributes another 66 grams of fat.  The cream cheese adds 160 grams of fat, the mayo adds 20 grams and the sour cream adds an additional 25 grams.  But then you add the healthy tomatoes and lettuce and you have a plate of dip that contains 571 grams of fat.    How many scoops of dip does this make?  Even if it made 200, which it doesn't, you're still getting almost 3 grams of fat with every scoop you eat!  By the end of cocktail hour, you might have consumed 15 grams of fat just in the dip!

I have to say that there are days when I'm glad I'm trying to be vegan.  I don't have to think about eating something like this.  It contains meat and dairy.  Although I'm willing to admit that right behind cheese on my list of "foods I dream about" is bacon, I'm not very tempted by something like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment