Monday, July 15, 2013

Day 200 -- Green Peas And Tart Cherries

Today was the perfect 200th day of my vegan life.  When I began this little project, it was the dead of winter, the days were short, the night was long and the ground was covered in snow.  I honestly thought that summer would never come.  Well, it was slow in coming, but it is here now and with it, lots of wAndnderful fresh produce.



Today, on my 200th day of vegan eating, I shelled some fresh peas and ate them.  They were from my dad's garden and at first, I thought all that shelling really wasn't worth the measly amount of peas I got.  But then I cooked them and ate them with a little margarine and some salt and freshly-ground pepper and they were heaven!

Later in the afternoon, a friend of mine came over and we picked the cherries off my cherry tree.  I then pitted them and made another cherry crumble, this time not from store-bought Bing cherries but from my own home-grown cherries.  And the crumble was so good!  The cherries were just perfectly tart and yummy, better than Bing!

It wasn't the healthiest day of eating.  In addition, I managed a veggie burger on a whole wheat bun and a Pink Lady apple, but that was pretty much it for the day.  I guess cherries and peas aren't the worst choices, but they are a far cry from the junk I was eating 201 days ago.  I'm glad that I can get all excited about fresh peas and homegrown cherries.  Now on to the next 100 days!
  

No comments:

Post a Comment