Friday, July 12, 2013

Day 197 -- That's How The Cherry Crumbles

Since I've started eating vegan, I haven't been much into desserts, with the exception of my favorite molasses cookies.  Since my blood sugar remains pretty constant during the day, I don't find myself craving sweets and when I do, fruit seems to satisfy me quite nicely.

The other day, I bought a cherry pitter and with that purchase came the notion that I could now use fresh cherries in my cooking.  I immediately thought about making a cobbler or a crumble, but since I was too lazy to look for a recipe, I decided to just wing it.  I mixed a small bit of sugar and some whole wheat flour with my halved and pitted cherries and then put them in a small casserole.  Then I mixed some melted Earth Balance margerine, some brown sugar and  more flour for the crumble topping.  I thought about adding some chopped almonds as almonds and cherries are always good together, but I decided to go simple.



And it was really good!  It felt nice to enjoy a dessert again, especially one made with luscious and very fresh Bing cherries.  I have a tart cherry tree in my backyard that is almost ready to be picked, so that's my chore in the next few days.  With those cherries, I'm going to try a real recipe.  I modified this one from a recipe I found online.

Cherry Crumble

Makes 6 servings

Approximately 4-5 cups of fresh, pitted cherries cut in half
1/4 c. Demerara sugar
 1/2 cup plus 1 T. whole wheat flour
 1/2 cup rolled oats
 1/3 cup brown sugar
 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
 3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
 1/4 cup chopped pecans or almonds
 1/3 cup melted Earth Balance margarine

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C.) Lightly grease an 8-inch square baking dish.  Mix cherries with 1T. flour and 1/4 cup Demerara sugar (less if you're using sweet cherries)  In a medium bowl, mix together remainting flour, oats, sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Mix in melted margarine. Spread over pie filling, and sprinkle with chopped pecans or almonds.  Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until topping is golden brown. Allow to cool 15 minutes before serving.


No comments:

Post a Comment