Thursday, July 25, 2013

Day 210 -- My Little Herb Garden -- Mint

I've decided to do a little series of posts on the herbs in my little herb garden.  So today, I'm doing mint.  I have two types of mint in my garden -- spearmint and peppermint.  It's the perfect thing to have around in the summer to add a little bit of flavor to iced tea.  But the best use of fresh mint is in the very popular vegan drink -- the mojito!



Making a mojito is pretty simple.  It takes sugar, mint, rum, and club soda.  I'm using organic sugar although I'm sure if it makes a difference because I'm not using organic rum!  Is there organic rum?  It turns out there is!  Here's an article about organic booze from the Treehugger blogspot.

So, on to the recipe for mojitos.



Mojitos -- Makes 2
Ice
2 ounces light rum
4 mint sprigs, or spearmint, 8 roughly broken apart
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
4 t. sugar
Club soda
2 slices lime

Divide the sugar and the mint between two 12 oz. glasses.  Using the back of a spoon, muddle the sugar and the mint, crushing the leaves with the sugar to release the mint flavor.  Fill the glass with ice then add the rum and the lime juice and fill to the top with club soda.  Add a sprig of mint and a slice of lime and enjoy!  Best if sipped through a straw.

No comments:

Post a Comment