Friday, April 5, 2013

Day 100 -- Now What?

Day 100!!!  This is a big milestone.  I'm officially in triple digits.  I should celebrate in some way, shouldn't I? I ate an avocado this past week.  That was kind of exciting.  Half on Sunday, half on Monday.  Hass avocados were on sale for .99 and I was tempted.  Now, I know avocados are loaded with fat, but I was really surprised that the calorie count for a half an avocado was pretty reasonable - 140 calories.


I didn't bother to put it into a dish or slice it up for a salad or sandwich.  I just ate it right off the skin and it was so delicious and creamy and wonderful that I couldn't even feel guilty  Avocados are good more for than just guacamole and facial masks.  For vegans, they're a valuable source of healthy fat in the diet and I think that's what my body was craving when I bought the avocado.  

When I was a kid, my mother's bridge club would have avocados for luncheon, sliced and dipped in mayo (kind of piling fat on top of more fat, if you ask me).  Avocados were like shrimp cocktail or lobster salad -- expensive and exotic, just the thing for ladies that lunch.  I don't think I tasted avocado until I was in college it was that rare in our local grocery store.  But now, they're available year round and cheap enough to eat like any other vegetable.  Except they're not vegetables -- they're fruit.  Either way, they're yummy.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment