Monday, April 1, 2013

Day 96 -- A Vegan No More?

Well, I've fallen off the wagon big time.  Last night, I went out and ended up eating a steak dinner with baked potato and sour cream and creme brulee for dessert . . . wait for it . . . it's coming . . .


APRIL FOOLS!

Part of sticking to my not-so-new-by-now eating plan is maintaining perspective -- and a sense of humor ----- about what I'm doing.  This isn't the most important thing in my life, or even the second most important thing.  I write about it every day not because it occupies my attention but because, by writing this blog, I'm remind me every day that I have to think carefully about what I'm putting in my mouth.  Most of the time, except for when I'm cooking, I don't think much about food.

That's kind of strange for me because three months ago, that's all I thought about.  When I wasn't obsessing over what I was going to eat next, I was wracked with guilt over what I just ate.  It was a constant worry for me and even though I knew it was an unhealthy attitude, I couldn't seem to do anything to fix it.  But the desperation is gone. The moment I first felt a hunger pang, I used to start thinking about what I was going to eat.  But now, hunger pangs usually don't distract me from what I'm doing.  I know that food is available when I want it and I don't get that frantic feeling anymore.

My relationship to food has changed significantly.  And with that has come a kind of inner calm.  I know that what I'm doing for myself is good and I wake up every day knowing that I'm going to make it through another day putting healthy things in my mouth.  Day 100 is coming up soon.  That's a big milestone.  And there are a few milestones coming up on the scale.

No comments:

Post a Comment