Friday, April 12, 2013

Day 107 -- I've Fallen Behind And I Can't Catch Up!

Occasionally, life gets in the way of writing this blog and I'm faced with writing several days worth of posts at one time.  I search for subjects, realizing that the past few days haven't been very noteworthy when it comes to the subject of food.  What have I been eating?  Veggie burgers, whole grain crackers, popcorn.  I've even gone out for portobello mushroom fajitas twice in one week!

My refrigerator is empty of any decent leftovers and I don't have time to cook anything -- or maybe I just don't have the energy to cook.  These days, I approach cooking like a carefully planned military maneuver.  I usually cook at least two or three dishes at once, providing decent choices for an entire week of eating.  But that requires a stocked refrigerator and a clean kitchen.  Right now, my kitchen counters are littered with dirty dishes that should gradually find their way into the dishwasher -- but only when I can muster the energy.



These are times when I wish there were fast food restaurants for vegans.  A place with a drive-thru window that offered organic salads and veggie burgers on whole grain buns.  And sweet potato fries!  If vegan eating were as easy as this, maybe more people would eat vegan.  It is strange to think of a world where fast food could actually be good for you to eat.

Which brings up another point.  I recently read that Chipoltle Mexican Grill, a chain of Mexican restaurants, was adding a vegan item to their menu in certain locations in California.  It's called Sofritas and is shredded tofu (non-GMO from Hodo Soy Beanery) braised with chipotle chiles, roasted poblano peppers, and spices made from tofu.   I had to wonder why other restaurants didn't do the same.  How difficult would it be for my favorite drive-in to make a veggie burger?  They come frozen, you can cook them in a separate frying pan.  What's so hard about that?  And there are plenty of health-conscious customers who would choose that item.

As a newly-minted almost-sorta-kinda vegan, it isn't always about the food.  Sometimes it's about the fun of eating with friends.  And when there is virtually nothing on the menu to eat -- except french fries -- it takes the fun out of it.  See what happens when I fall behind on my posts.  I turn into a surly vegan!

No comments:

Post a Comment