Sunday, April 28, 2013

Day 123 -- Eat Your GOMBBS!

Dr. Joel Fuhrmann is a leading advocate for healthy eating, particularly vegan eating.  In a recent article on his website, DiseaseProof (Eat Smart, Live Happy), he suggested that people try to eat more "superfoods."  Superfoods are the most nutrient-dense, health promoting foods on the planet.  And GOMBBS is a handy acronym for remembering what the "superest" of these superfoods are -- greens, onions, mushrooms, berries, beans and seeds.


Just as a check, let's see which of these things I ate yesterday.  Greens-- I had a bowl of sauteed spinach with garlic. Onions- I added a half a red onion to my tofu stir-fry.  Mushrooms- I added a package of shitake mushrooms to my stir-fry.  Berries - I ate some Craisins.  Do they count?  Beans- Hmm.  I guess tofu would count as beans?  Seeds - I hit these twice yesterday.  Chia seeds in my pumpkin smoothie and sesame seeds in my stir fry.

In his article, GOMBBS: Greens, Onions, Mushrooms, Berries, Beans and Seeds, Fuhrmann explains the benefits of all these foods and this is definitely worth a read.  I was directed to this article by one of my favorite websites, FatFree Vegan and using a recipe for Susan Voisin's Superfoods Soup, I decided to develop my own Superfoods Soup, using the ingredients that I love.  It should be noted that along with onions, other members of the allium family are just as super:  garlic, leeks, scallions, and shallots.

My Very Own Superfoods Soup

1 sweet onion, halved and sliced
5 to 8 oz. of Shitake or Crimini mushrooms, sliced
3 large cloves garlic, sliced thin
1 cup frozen shelled edamame (or frozen peas)
2 t. Korean red pepper flakes or 1 t. crushed red pepper
4 c. organic mushroom broth
2 c. water
1 small bunch of kale, washed and stripped from stems and torn into pieces (4-6 leaves)
1 1/2 T. yellow miso
Garnish with sliced scallion and  toasted sunflower seeds

Saute onions and mushrooms until slightly wilted.  Add garlic and saute until fragrant.  Then add edamame, red pepper, broth and water.  Let broth come to a boil, then add kale and reduce heat.  Simmer until kale is tender.  Remove soup from heat and mix a small bit of broth with the miso.  Stir to make a smooth paste and  then add back into soup.  Ladle into bowl or mug and garnish.

So there it is.  Everything but the berries.  A bowl of fresh or frozen blueberries drizzled with honey for dessert would  make this the perfect super superfoods meal.  Or maybe a blueberry smoothie made with flax or chia seeds?

ETA:  This soup was fantastic!  One of the best I've ever made.  The Korean red pepper flakes (which I bought for my Amazing Kimchi Adventure) added a nice bit of heat to the broth, but it wasn't overwhelming. Combined with a Detox Salad, I think I'm going to have a very healthy week!


No comments:

Post a Comment