Saturday, April 6, 2013

Day 101 -- Yesterday, I Fell Off The Vegan Wagon

It's kind of ironic that on Day 100, a cause for celebration, I ended up eating cheese.  Let me set the scene.  I was working on a project away from home.  I started at 8 am and expected to be home for lunch, but by lunchtime, we weren't even close to being done.  A few people stopped to get take-out and knowing I was vegan, the brought me a McDonald's Caesar salad -- with cheese.  Yes, that's right.  After 100 days of staying away from fast food, I ate fast food.



I was hungry, I didn't want to run home to get something to eat, so I ate the salad.  It was impossible to take off all the cheese and the dressing might have been made with cheese as well, but in the end, it wasn't a big deal.  I'm a vegan for health reasons and enjoy not having to eat creatures that were once living.  But for me, dairy and eggs (and honey) are not as ethically difficult to justify.

The salad alone had 5 grams of fat and 190 calories and the dressing added 18 grams of fat at 190 more calories.  It wasn't the worse thing I could have eaten so I'm not going to worry about it.  Instead, I'll worry about the bag of dry-roasted peanuts I scarfed down a few nights ago.  That came in at a whopping 960 calories and 84 grams of fat.  YIKES!  That was a huge mistake, especially on top of the avocado I also ate last week.

But I did buy a big container of baby spinach at the grocery store.  Greens.  Greens will be my penance.  Greens will be my salvation.

No comments:

Post a Comment