Sunday, April 21, 2013

Day 116 -- Detox Salad

My sister passed on this recipe and I thought I'd try it.  It's different than anything I've made before, but this new way of eating has made me embrace new and unusual dishes.  And, I am intrigued by the name -- Detox Salad.  It's based on a popular deli product from Whole Foods, but I got the recipe from one of my favorite sites -- Angela Liddon's Oh She Glows.



One of the things I've learned over the past four months is that when my enthusiasm for my vegan eating plan wanes, the best thing to do is to find a new recipe and make it.  A new dish shakes up my routine, it makes me appreciate the fresh and nutritious food that I'm eating.

Detox Salad
Makes  10 cups


2 heads broccoli (1 bunch), stems removed
1 head cauliflower, stems removed
2.5 cups shredded carrots
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1 cup currants
1/2 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
1/2 cup raisins
4-6 tbsp fresh lemon juice, to taste
kosher salt, pepper (I used 1/2 tsp salt and lots of pepper)
kelp granules or Herbamare (optional), to taste
Pure maple syrup, to drizzle on before serving

1. In a food processor (or chop by hand) process the broccoli (no stems) until fine. Add into large bowl.
2. Now process the cauliflower (no stems) until fine and add into bowl. Do the same with the carrots.
3. Stir in the sunflower seeds, currants, raisins, and parsley. Add lemon juice and seasonings to taste.
4. Drizzle with maple syrup to taste.
Note: I saved the stems for a stir-fry later on in the week.

Kimchi Update:  It's Day 2.  I'm not sure what's happening inside the jar, but there seems to be a puddle of kimchi juice on the counter around the jar.

No comments:

Post a Comment