Monday, April 8, 2013

Day 103 -- The Amazing Kimchi Adventure -- Part One

I'm a kimchi junkie.  That's right, I've got a bad habit and it's costing me big bucks.  Since I discovered kimchi, I've been feeding my habit with 16 oz. jars purchased at my local natural foods store at $6 a jar.  Which for me is pretty darn expensive.  So do I go to kimchi rehab now?  Or do I learn to make my own kimchi?

I opted for the second choice.  After all, if thousands of Korean cooks do it every week, why can't I learn.  Now, I know it's a stinky process as my sister has warned me, but if I can get kimchi at a reasonable price, I'd be a very happy addict.

My first step proved to be a bit tricky.  The red pepper used to flavor kimchi has to be a very specific type, the type difficult to find in a small Midwest city.  So I was forced to get it mail-order from a Korean site called H-Mart.  Once I found the right product, Tae Kyung Red Pepper Powder, I had to choose between a one pound bag at $5.99 or a three pound bag at $14.99.  With shipping at $11.00, I figured I'd go big.


When the first ingredient for my homemade kimchi arrived about a week later, I was stunned to find I now have a bag of red pepper powder the size of one of the throw pillows on my sofa.  But maybe that's for the best.  The bag is sitting on my kitchen counter, a constant reminder that since I have what I need, it's time to make kimchi.  Either that, or I could cover the bag with a nice raw silk and just use it as a throw pillow.

No comments:

Post a Comment