Sunday, April 7, 2013

Day 102 -- The Side-Effects Of Eating Vegan

I've heard it more than once since I began eating vegan.  "Your skin looks wonderful" or "You're glowing."  And I'm not the only vegan who has noticed a change.  I stumbled across this blog post on Huffington Post -- Vegan Secrets (Or Why My Skin Is Always Glowing).  I guess it's something that many new vegans experience.



My skin used to be dry, my feet especially so.  And I often used a scrub on my face.  But now, my skin is so soft.  I don't have to use moisturizer.  My elbows are smooth and they've never been smooth.  I suspect part of this has to do with giving up processed food and therefore, a lot of the salt in that food.  Plus, I get more water, from all the veggies and fruit I eat.

Of course, whenever there is anecdotal evidence that veganism is good for you, someone always comes along to refute that evidence, to claim that vegans look sick or sallow.  This blog post -- How Does A Vegan Diet Affect The Skin -- is written by an esthetician, who claims to have seen her share of vegan faces.  She claims that vegans don't get the right kind of protein for the skin.

Luckily, I didn't have to do the legwork to research the claims.  In this blog post, Is A Vegetarian or Vegan Diet Bad for Your Skin?, the author lists all the reasons why a vegan diet would be good for your skin.  I'm sure the debate will rage on and I'm not going to argue one way or the other.  But my skin has benefited from my new eating plan.



No comments:

Post a Comment