Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Day 111 -- Where Has All The Protein Gone?

I never used to think about protein.  As a meat-eater, it was never an issue.  But as a vegan, I seemed to dwell on it.  It's my goal to become more knowledgeable about good sources of protein and automatically include them in my meals so I don't have to think about it that much.



My friend and food guru, E, sent me this link for a really good article about the best sources for protein.  From the website, MindBodyGreen, the article is called "My Top 7 Sources of Plant-based Protein."

I've chosen three of my favorites and listed three that I still need to try.

1. Beans (Black, Kidney, Mung, Pinto): 12-15g Protein / Cup
I eat a lot of beans.  Black beans and garbanzos are my favorite.  In fact, I put garbanzos in just about everything I can.

2. Quinoa: 11g Protein / Cup
I love quinoa, but I don't use it as often as I should.  Now that I know that it's so high in protein, I'm going to use it much more.

3. Lentils: 17.9g  Protein / Cup
Lentils are a big favorite of mine, especially red lentils.  I put them in soup and stews, often just to thicken them up.

And these are three that I need to try with comments from the author of the article.

1. Tempeh: 24g Protein / 4 Ounces
A fermented soybean-based food, tempeh is a healthy protein-packed alternative to it’s non-fermented cousin tofu. It makes for a great veggie burger and doubles as a tasty meat alternative to meatballs in pasta, or over brown rice and vegetables.

2. Seitan: 24g Protein / 4 Ounces
An excellent substitute for beef, fish and soy products, one serving provides about 25% of your RDA of protein. But not for those with gluten sensitivities, as it is made from wheat gluten.

3. Hemp Seeds: 16g Protein / 3 Tbsp
With a perfect ration of omega-6 and omega-3 EFA’s, hemp seeds are another bioavailable complete protein rivaled only by spirulina. A simple and great addition to a multitude of dishes, from breakfast cereal to salads to smoothies to vegetables and rice.

So, I'm off to look for recipes that use tempeh and seitan.  I know I can use hemp seed in place of my chia and flax seeds.  Time to add two more foods to my list of new tastes.

No comments:

Post a Comment