Thursday, April 25, 2013

Day 120 -- How Do I Hate Tofu? Let Me Count The Ways.

I buy it with the best of intentions.  Tofu.  As a vegan, I'm supposed to eat it.  Yet, there it sits, in the back of the fridge, well on its way to spoiling.  The use-by date is today, so whether I want to or not, I'm going to have to use this damn tofu in a dish.  But what to make?



Yes, even that photo looks boring to me.  Oh, and before I go on, can I just say that it would be very helpful if the tofu manufacturers would make a smaller container of tofu.  The most I ever use in a recipe is a half a block and the other half just rots in the refrigerator.  And man, when it rots, it really stinks up the joint.  Yet another reason why I resist even buying tofu.  All right, rant over.  Now, I think I need to find a recipe or the tofu will end up in the garbage.

I have a package of shitake mushrooms that need to be used and some red bell peppers and a red onion.  I feel an Asian dish coming on here.  Oh, and I'll add some edamame so I get a legume in my meal -- in case I don't eat the tofu.  I have some brown rice noodles that will be good with the dish.  But how to cook the tofu?

My sister gave me a recipe for teriyaki tofu, which uses slices of tofu, dredged in cornstarch and fried until brown.  While frying it, it's basted with a teriyaki sauce.  I think I'm going to go with that and then stir-fry my veggies and make a spicy sauce.

I am not excited.   But I keep hoping that I'll learn to like tofu if I just keep trying to eat it.  Maybe this time?

ETA:  I labelled this Good Eats, but I was being sarcastic.

ETA More:  All right. Maybe tofu isn't that bad.  Dredged in cornstarch and fried until brown, then braised in 1/4 cup cooking sherry, 3 T. soy sauce and 1 1/2 T. brown sugar?  It was pretty yummy when served with stir fried veggies and brown rice.  But it did take frying it until it was crispy to get some decent texture.

No comments:

Post a Comment