Saturday, April 20, 2013

Day 115 -- The Amazing Kimchi Adventure -- Part Two

Today, I take the next step in the Amazing Kimchi adventure.  All the ingerdients have been assembled and now it's time to make the kimchi!  I've studied the process on YouTube videos and looked at recipes online. I've decided to try to copy my favorite vegan commercial kimchi, Sunja's cabbage kimchi.



It should be noted that Sunja's kimchi doesn't use Napa cabbage, but uses green cabbage instead, which is good, since that's much cheaper than Napa.  So if I screw up completely, I haven't wasted a lot of money.  I started by removing the core and chopping up the cabbage into large chunks.  I washed it thoroughly then and mixed it with the salt brine in my big enamel soup pot.  I put a plate inside to keep the cabbage submerged and covered the pot with the cover.

Tomorrow, after it's wilted down, (12 - 24 hours) I'll drain. it and rinse it off.  Then I'll grind up garlic and ginger in my Nutribullet and mix it into the wilted cabbage, along with Korean red pepper flakes, chopped leeks and green onions and matchstick carrots.  I'll need to mix this all up and then put it in my kimchi container (still to be determined), stirring out the air as I cover it with another batch of salt brine. Then it will be topped with the inverted plate, a weight to hold the plate down and a cover to keep the smell from permeating every last corner of the house.

This is the process I'm using -- "How To Make Kimchi" from WikiHow.

Brine 1 T. sea salt per 2 cups water
As far as ingredients I used:
1 large head of green cabbage, core removed, chopped into large pieces
1 bag of matchstick carrots (10 oz.)
1 leek, cut into half moons (discard dark green top)
8 green onions, cut into 2-inch slivers
1/2 cup Korean red pepper flakes
2 t. sugar
3 T. minced ginger (done in food processor)
1/2 c. minced garlic (done in food processor)

In 3 to 6 days, I'll transfer the kimchi into jars and put it in the fridge and we'll see if the Amazing Kimchi Adventure was a success!  Stay tuned for Part Three of the Amazing Kimchi Adventure in which I will actually eat the kimchi that I made!

ETA:  I used a one gallon apothecary jar that used to hold white sugar for my kimchi.  It is now about 8 hours since I put it in the jar and it's already starting to smell.  It looks like it's supposed to, so that's a good sign.

No comments:

Post a Comment