Monday, April 29, 2013

Day 124 -- Spring Is Here!

After a very long winter, we had our first real day of spring today.  The weather was warm, the breeze was light and I went grocery shopping.  I came home with a couple bags full of veggies -- a bunch of beets, a bag of oranges, lemons, bananas, a bag of small Vidalia onions, whole Shitake mushrooms, whole Crimini mushrooms and sweet corn.  It felt so good to lug those heavy bags home.



But the best part of it was looking at my purchases at the checkout and seeing that I only had three things in a box -- golden raisins, currants and whole grain crackers.  I did buy a bottle of spray I-Can't-Believe-It's-Not-Butter.  Can't eat corn without salt and pepper and it doesn't stick unless it has something to stick too.  The lady in front of me had bags of snacks and two cases of sugared soda, along with a few veggies.  I was proud of my choices -- choices that seem to come more naturally to me now.  We I see good looking or inexpensive veggies, I immediately think about what I can cook with them.

Tomorrow I'm going to make roasted beets and Vidalia onions and serve with with an Orange-Miso dressing over herb salad and quinoa.  I'm also going to make a mushroom and seitan stroganoff this week.  And the Detox Salad that I posted recently.  Oh, and I have to make some molasses cookies!   I can hardly wait for the first farmers' markets of the summer.  All that fresh produce to choose from!

No comments:

Post a Comment