Monday, June 3, 2013

Day 159 -- Better Than Cream Cheese?

And the answer is -- not better, but just as good!

Over the past five months, I've tried a number of new foods.  Some of them are vegan substitutes for dairy or meat products and I usually approach these with a fair amount of trepidation.  I've found some great substitutions, like So Delicious Chocolate Ice Cream, that taste just as good, if not better than regular dairy.  And then I've tried just as many awful things, like seitan.  I still have some shredded cheddar "cheese" in my fridge, unopened after three months.  And a brand new package of tempeh, which I'm still waiting on.



There is one little treat that I found that I really enjoy and that's Tofutti Better Than Cream Cheese spread.  I mistakenly bought the Herbs and Chives flavor, which was a mistake since I thought I was getting plain.  But it turns out that it's really good spread on a JJ Flats cracker.  The pairing is a nice little snack, creamy and crunchy at the same time.  And the "cream cheese" is only 60 calories in a 2 tablespoon serving.

It's nice to know that products like these exist.  Because they do, I don't really have to go back to eating real cream cheese.  Not that I eat cream cheese that often, but when I do, I've got a tasty substitute that will keep me on the vegan straight-and-narrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment