Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Day 174 -- Oy Vay! Soy Vay!

My sister, L, has been talking about this wonderful Asian sauce/marinade called Soy Vay, and she bought me an industrial size bottle of it at Costco and made a gift of it this weekend.  She uses it for lots of different dishes and was very excited for me to try it.  Well, I did and it is quite tasty!

The company's story is almost as good as their products.  Soy Vey was founded by a Jewish guy and an Asian girl in 1984 and they produce Asian-inspired kosher products!  They offer five different flavors of sauce:  Veri Veri Teriyaki (the flavor I have), Hoisin Garlic, Island Teriyaki, Wasabi Teriyaki and Toasted Sesame.


I happened to get all the ingredients for this dish as the store today, with plans to make something else.  But now, I'm going to give this a try.  Check out the Soy Vey website!  They have a lot of wonderful vegan/vegetarian recipes using their sauces.

Tempeh, Asparagus & Mushroom Teriyaki On A Bed Of Orange-infused Quinoa
1 cup quinoa, rinsed
2 cups orange juice
½ cup water
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 package (8 ounces) of tempeh, any type, cut in 1-inch cubes
1 pound asparagus, ends discarded and remaining stalks cut in 3-inch pieces, rinsed
1 package (8 ounces) of pre-sliced white mushrooms (sliced in half if big)
3 scallions, sliced, with whites and greens separated
¾ cup Soy Vay® Veri Veri Teriyaki®

Put tempeh, asparagus, mushrooms, scallion whites and Soy Vay® Veri Veri Teriyaki® in a bowl. Marinate for 15–20 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Bring orange juice and water to a boil. Add quinoa and turn heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until quinoa is soft.  Ten minutes before quinoa is done, heat oil in skillet on medium-high until hot. Add tempeh mixture and cook until all ingredients are cooked through, about 10 minutes.  Put quinoa on plate and top with tempeh mixture. Sprinkle with crushed black pepper and scallion greens.

ETA:  The picture above just doesn't do this recipe justice.  This was really, really yummy, full of flavor and the orange-infused quinoa added a whole other level of flavor.  This was my first taste of tempeh and I liked it much, much more than seitan.  I will be having it again.   I used baby bella mushrooms which I think have a bit more flavor than button mushroom.  I also added sliced vidalia onions.

No comments:

Post a Comment